Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Break On Through To The Other Side aka Jail Break

I let the chickens out of their coop tonight. They had been cooped up since Friday when I went to visit my mother. My lovely friends Noel and Shawn came over to water them and feed them, but they were stuck in their little house while I was away.

The thing I want to talk about is the fact that chickens are spectacular break out artists. They will shoot through your legs at lightening speed and make a break for it.

On those little dinosaur legs they can make a g-turn that would make a skater proud. Tonight, one of the little $^%(*@ got through the fence into the neighbor's yard and tried to hide under his truck. I now have gravel embedded in my knee caps trying to reach under to get a hold of her before she jumped up into his suspension... It would have REALLY sucked to try and get her out of that. But once you get a hold of their legs, no matter how hard they flap they generally ain't going nowhere. They may flap but they ain't gonna fly!


 Have you ever seen Jurassic Park? Well there is this scene where a a flock of dinosaurs are running from a Tyranosaur. I hate to use that analogy but when it comes to chickens that is what you get.

Little dinosaurs.

They love the buttons on my flannel and they will all gang up on me to peck at them. I am sitting on the ground taking pictures and the next thing I know I am being pecked to death. Trust me if you were an inch tall, you would be a nice nutritious meal.

The Boyfriend named these the Chopitude Twins
I love watching the chickens wandering around the yard. They make sweet clucking noises and squawk as they jump at each other and when one finds a treat, a worm or slug, they take off running and try to get the others to chase after them. They are pure entertainment.


 They each have their own personality and some are more personable than others.  Some a friendlier and  some are more nervous.

Stalking
I still refuse to name them because I don't consider them pets but I respect them all the same. They are farm animals and I have a tiny farm.  I make sure they are content and they make sure I get fresh eggs.

The boyfriend, on the other hand, keeps giving them names. I never remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment