Friday, April 8, 2016

Day Hike Kanaskat-Palmer State Park

 A friend and I went for a hike A couple of weekends ago. I have a back country pass on hold for me in Yosemite in August and I am building up for a three-day 30 mile round trip hike.

So I am taking some of the days that I could be spending in the garden and hiking a few mile around some of the more scenic hike in the PNW, building up to overnights and several days. In truth, it has been a long time since I have done more than day hikes. Many years ago after an ex ended up with most of the hiking gear after a bad break up, I just never replenished it. No one I have dated since has enjoyed hiking like I did and, although I have friends that liked to camp, most never wanted to hike to the camping spots.

So I am going hiking alone. But I have to build up my stamina to what it used to be by August. Or at least to half of what it used to be. I also have to replenish some of my hiking gear like a new tent (one or two person), bear canister for food, new hiking boots, etc... I don't have to get them all at once and I am in no hurry.
I have been enjoying the day hikes. They aren't long at this point, a couple of miles round trip at most. No one else on the trail although, it was also a campground so part of the trail wandered past RVs and people's car camps. But we never saw anyone else on the trail. Still early for a hike and there was a storm expected to come through later that day.

It was dry the whole time we were there and lovely. The Green River runs through the park and it was pretty high up the bank with the snow pack as high as it currently is. A lot of water in the mountains right now. This has been a record rainy season in the Pacific Northwest and we have a good snow pack, the rivers are all running high, should get higher as the pack melts.

A lot of the state park trails around here are populated. There are homes close by and as the weather warms, there will be more people on the trails and they do get crowded. The trail I have confirmed in Yosemite only allows nine people a day along it, so I have it pretty much to myself for the three days.

 It is in August, which tends to be the slowest summer month because of the heat, so I expect I might not run into very many people during my time there. First night's camp will be ten miles or so in from the backpacker's camp and parking lot. Second night another ten miles or so.

The plan is two night and three days, round trip of approximately thirty-four miles.

I am in no hurry, and I have have walked further on city vacations. It is doable, but then there is the pack. Three days worth of gear. Which might not be bad if I am smart. Which will suck big green dicks if I am not.

I am hoping to avoid the dicks...



No comments:

Post a Comment