Sunday, April 3, 2016

The Backyard Battle

I have a back yard.

Truthfully, I tend to ignore it. It is large, and full of grass and, at one time, a few chickens ran around it.  Once or twice a year I will have a BBQ with friends, but most times, it is just a nuisance. I am not a grass person. I like  a garden that produces food, not just grass.

But I have decided to do something with the backyard. Finally after 16 years.

I have a patio, it is a bit battered and needs a good power washing. But I plan on extending all the way back to the garage this year and building an outdoor tiki bar.

I also still need to put siding on the extension I build for the garage...

Owning a home is a slow process, especially when you have no one to help you.

Anyways, the plan is to extend out the patio, since I am no fan of grass or mowing. But as you can see to the left there is grass. A huge expanse of grass, full of weeds my neighbor complains about.

Me, I can care less. It's grass in my eyes. It does nothing, but cushion my feet and keeps the topsoil from blowing away, Dustbowl style.

But it makes for an enjoyable gathering place. But it needs work, so that part will have to be thoroughly redone. I may have to rent a sod cutter and take it all out to level it and reseed with a grass that is more acclimated to the PNW weather. Whatever that may be at this point.

It's actually a lovely space and good for when company comes for a drink and conversations. 

But it needs to be spiffied. There are two huge cedar trees in the back corner, and so trying to let anything to grow in that location will be nigh impossible and because of their shade I have a lot of moss in the back part of the yard.

I have at least one truckload of garbage that needs to be taken to the dump, three giant Douglas fir rounds from a tree I had taken down a few years back that the ex did not finish splitting like he said he would before I broke up with him. A little of this, and a little of that. But mostly, it is a sea of grass that is predominately moss and weeds. There are dips and holes and rises and slants. I look at it and just sigh some days.

But it needs to be done. I will start on the patio section since that part will be less traumatic and will be more instantly gratifying!

No comments:

Post a Comment